Well, not really. Over Christmas break I had some time to reevaluate last semester and consider some things I would change for the new semester. As much as I am not sure if I completely agree with having semester courses in high school, I do like that fact that I get to live as though I am starting my second year of teaching within my first.
This semester I am teaching Geometry. I really like geometry, but it is definitely a change from Algebra. I can see that many of my students are struggling to switch gears and use a different part of their brain. I am actually there with them. I have found it difficult to switch gears, although I am enjoying the challenge.
I think what I am going to enjoy most about teaching Geometry this semester is that it is more visual and I can attempt to be a little more creative with my lessons. Time will tell...
The semester has started off well. We are about to complete our second full week of school. I feel like we have already been in the groove for awhile, but I definitely feel refreshed from break.

I came into my classes with 70 new faces and 10 familiar. I asked the students I had previously to hold me accountable as the new Miss D. Basically the only changes I am trying to implement are consequences for excessive talking in class and for confiscating cell phones. I am now over the fear of washing them ;)
Hopefully this semester will bring forth more funny anecdotes that I can share with you and give you a good laugh. Right now it is business time and I am still trying to get to know my students.
I think this will be a great semester, and I am still impressed with my colleagues that surround me.
I will share more as time goes one, but I will leave you with the corniest joke that I said to my students the first day...please excuse my lame humor!
What did the acorn say when he grew up?
~ "Gee, I'm A Tree!"

No comments:
Post a Comment