Sunday, October 28, 2007

Miss D, You Trippin'

I haven't given a school update in awhile...Things are going relatively well. I am not sure why but this past week I felt a bit overwhelmed I think just due to being tired and maybe doing too much during the week. I overslept two days in a row. I woke up at the time I was supposed to be at school. I guess at least I had the grace to make it there before the first bell rang! Anyways, though busy, no complaints.

My students are great, with the exception of talking too much and being apathetic at times. I am really enjoying getting to know my students and their personalities better. But this is also a challenge. I feel horrible for my students who are always doing the right thing, always respectful, and quiet because they do not receive any of my attention. My attention goes to the outspoken ones, who are usually off task! I have to admit though that I am going to be sad to lose this bunch of students at the semester. I will have a new crew after Christmas. It is strange to think that my first class of students will already be out of my care by December.

There is not a lot to report here, but I thought I would leave you with some one-liners from my students:

After assigning a tedious homework assignment, one student responds:
Miss D, you must be trippin'

After confiscating a hair straightener from one of my students, she asked:
Miss D we gotta get you a new do, can we straighten your hair? This is now a recurring question...daily....

One time I was helping a student at their desk, so I was half bent over helping her, placing my buttocks in the proximity of another girl. She said, Miss D get your butt out of my face (jokingly of course) and so I responded by shaking my butt at her....She then goes, No you didn't...I then proceeded to do it again and said, Oh yes I did! Now I may have crossed the line here...but that's what took place!

I have had several students who have asked me if I was married, dating someone, or had children...when the answer is no, I have had several 15 year old girls offer to set me up with their Chicano or African American friends or even to set me up on e-harmony. It's quite humorous, but it also gives me a great opportunity to teach them some valuable life lessons such as patience and virtue. One girl was convinced that I had a child at the local childcare because the little three year old had blue eyes, brown hair, and my last name!

I am sure there are several more but I will leave you with two of the funniest...

I have one little freshman boy who I think just likes to get a reaction out of me. I have him during the class period where lunch is in the middle. So upon his return one day, I was trying to usher the kids back into the classroom to get started. I told him he needed to step into the room. He responded that he could not. I said you must. He said, Miss D, I gotta let one. I replied, What? He again said, I gotta let one. You don't want me in there. I responded, hurry up and get back in! (I am laughing as I write this down). Then about a day or two later, he comes up to me in front of the class and whispers, ah Miss D...I gotta let one. All that crossed my mind was that he did not just come up to me to tell me this. I lost it, I started laughing. The class then wanted to know what he said. I told them not to worry about it...Then to top it all off, about a week later, I was helping another student near this boy. He says out of the blue, I am sorry for what I am about to do. I then said, Then don't do it. He responded, but I have to. I then said, What are you going to do? He said, I am going to stink up the room.

The final one...One of my students had this putty that makes farting noises as you push it back into the container. After several episodes of him "farting" I confiscated the putty. He then said to me, charming as he tries to be, Okay Miss D, I'll let you have this, but promise me this. You will give this to someone you love, and whenever you see it, you'll think of me!

As my favorite show was once titled, Kids Say the darnedest things!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so this was way too much fun to read...I'd love to give you some pointers on how to handle the High School "Musical", but it sounds like you have a good handle on things. hee, Hee...this was way too funny! Just be patient and keep that great personality you have, you will survive anything! I miss you and love you! Keep up the fun stories, too...it gives us all a great laugh!

Eric said...

Miss D - do your students ever 'Google' you and so find your blog? do you think they ever will? I like it!

Lauren said...

i sure hope not!